University of Texas,
UT First Faculty 1883-84


First UT Faculty

When the University of Texas opened in September 1883, the faculty was composed of the eight men pictured here (left to right): John William Mallet, professor of physics and chemistry; Leslie Waggener, professor of English language, history, and literature; Robert L. Dabney, professor of mental and moral philosophy and political science; Robert S. Gould, professor of law; Oran M. Roberts, professor of law; Henri Tallichet, professor of modern languages; Milton Humphreys, professor of ancient languages; and William LeRoy Broun, professor of mathematics. Following the University of Virginia model, the faculty elected one of their colleagues, Professor Mallet, to serve as Chair of the Faculty; the office of University President was not created until 1895. There were only two departments established, Academic and Law.
Photo Courtesy of Dolph Briscoe Center for American History


Back to Department Photo Album