University of Texas
UT Faculty Group 1915–1916


Left to Right, Standing

John Avery Lomax, (Secretary of the Faculty); James Robinson Bailey, (Professor of Chemistry); *Martha Maud Smith (1875–1928) (Librarian-Cataloguer); Roberta Frances Lavendar (1871–1953), (Instructor of Latin); Frederic William Simonds, (Professor of Geology and Chairman of the School of Geology); *Morgan Callaway, Jr. (Professor of English); Harry Winston Harper (Professor of Chemistry and Dean of the Graduate Department); *Harry Birk Beck, (Superintendent of Building and Grounds)

Left to Right, Seated

*Harry Yandell Benedict, (Professor of Applied Mathematics and Dean of Men); *Lulu Mary Bailey (Instructor of Physics); *Jessie Andrews, (Instructor in German and First UT Woman Graduate (1886); *Helen M. Kirby, (Dean of Women); Lelia May Casis, (Professor of Romance Language and First Woman to achieve Full Professorship); William James Battle, (President and Professor of Greek); Thomas Ulvan Taylor, (Professor of Civil Engineering)

*Deceased designation probably occured in 1980s.

On November 5, 1916, the Fort Worth Star Telegram ran this picture noting UT faculty having served 20 or more years. The picture is below.

Last paragraph of caption on photo above: T. U. Taylor, Dr. F. W. Simonds, Dr. Morgan Callaway, Mrs. Kirby and Miss Jessie Andrews have been continuously connected with the university for more that twenty-five years. Mrs Kirby and Miss Andrews have been in the institution more than thirty years, during a part of this time, however, MissAandrews was a student.


Below is from back of original photo.